A totally tasty twist on classic pasta salad, this herbed penne salad serves well as the main course for any summer meal. Black beans add protein while the veggies supply color and crunch. When I am hosting a sit-down, outdoor party I often feature this enticing salad as the star of my meal.
Herbed Black Bean Pasta Salad
Makes 8 to 10 servings
• 1 pound whole-grain penne, cooked al dente and drained
• 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
• 4 to 5 carrots, chopped
• 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
• 1 sweet orange or yellow pepper, chopped
• 1 small sweet onion, diced
• 1 can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
• 12 to 14 leaves chopped fresh basil
• 4 to 5 leaves chopped fresh oregano
• 4 leaves chopped fresh sage
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
• 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise, plus more as needed
• 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, plus more as needed
• 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar or your preferred dry sweetener
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground pepper
1. Put all of the salad ingredients in a very large bowl.
2. Put all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
3. Add the dressing to the pasta salad and toss gently until well combined. If a creamier consistency is desired, add more mayonnaise and/or Dijon to taste.
4. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours, or until the salad is thoroughly chilled. Serve cold over a bed of crisp greens with crusty whole-grain bread or rolls on the side.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.