It is believed farro is the original ancestor of all other wheat species. In ancient Rome, farro was a staple food that provided the main source of nourishment for the Roman legions, and it was even used as a form of currency. Today this Old World heirloom grain is still highly regarded in Italy, where it has been grown for generations by Tuscan farmers and is featured in many traditional dishes. Try farro instead of rice in stews, casseroles and salads.
Using farro in place of rice gives a pleasantly chewy texture to this new spin on a classic risotto.
• 5-6 cups vegetable stock
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
• 1/2 cup farro, soaked overnight
1. Bring vegetable stock to a low simmer in large saucepan and keep warm. In a pan, saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add farro and stir until coated with oil and beginning to release a nutty fragrance, about 2 minutes.
2. Add white wine, if using, and cook down until almost all liquid has been absorbed. Use a ladle to add warm stock to the farro, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until all liquid has been absorbed before adding more. Cook farro, adding stock as needed, until the grains have opened and softened, about 30 minutes.
3. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the sliced mushrooms and cook until tender. Add peas and cook until softened and bright green. Remove from heat and stir in butter and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings.
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, a distinctive stone grinding miller of whole grains, was founded in 1978 with the mission of moving people back to the basics with healthy whole grains, high-fiber and complex carbohydrates. Bob’s Red Mill, now an employee-owned company, offers a diverse line of more than 400 all natural, organic and gluten-free flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups that are available throughout the world. With its dedicated gluten-free manufacturing facility and strict organic protocols, the company has emerged as a leader in providing safe and delicious natural, organic and gluten-free products.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE