Moist and tender, this recipe for Confetti Cornbread uses colorful veggies that taste great any time of the year. From vibrant red pepper, to dashing jalapeño pepper, you are sure to impress with this colorful concoction. This recipe, courtesy Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, uses Bob’s Red Mill Corn Grits, and won second place in the Quick Bread category at the 2005 Summer Loaf Bread Baking Contest.
Alone, corn grits—also known as polenta—makes a popular Southern-style breakfast, served with milk and honey or brown sugar. For added texture, sprinkle 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds across the top of your cornbread batter before baking. Serve with chili or enjoy all on its own. Check back next week for another great recipe from Bob’s Red Mill.
• 1 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Corn Grits (Polenta)
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
• 1 3/4 cups unbleached white flour
• 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 2 large eggs
• 1 1/4 cups diced fresh or frozen corn, red pepper and jalapeño pepper
1. Soak corn grits in 1 1/4 cup buttermilk, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before proceeding.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and pour in cornbread.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Stir in soaked corn grits and brown sugar. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, dissolve honey in melted butter. In a third bowl, whisk eggs with remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk. Add honey and egg mixtures to flour mixture. Stir in corn and peppers until evenly dispersed.
5. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until center is springy and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes before serving. Serves 12.
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods offers a diverse line of more than 400 all-natural, organic and gluten-free flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups that are available all around the world.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE