These moist muffins are sweet but not overly so, making them a scrumptious treat for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or dessert. This recipe uses ripe bananas rather than eggs for binding. Wheat germ adds both texture and nutrition, while dark chocolate contributes antioxidants, not to mention a decadent taste.
Chocolate Chip–Banana Muffin Recipe
Makes 6 large muffins
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
• 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
• 1-1/4 cups plain or vanilla nondairy milk, plus more as needed
• 3 ripe bananas, mashed until smooth
• 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
• 1⁄2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
• 3-1/2ounces vegan dark chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Oil a six-cup standard muffin tin.
2. Put the flours, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk to combine. Add the brown sugar and wheat germ and stir with the whisk to combine. Stir in the nondairy milk, bananas, and oil and mix just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped chocolate. The mixture will be quite thick, but if it seems overly dry, stir in a bit more nondairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Don’t overmix or the muffins will be tough.
3. Mound the mixture into the prepared muffin cups. Put the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Decrease the temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out almost clean.
4. Put the pan on a wire rack and loosen the sides of each muffin with a knife. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Carefully remove the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.