These cute little cookies are actually tiny sweet tacos. These gems are great to make with the kids on Christmas day. Made from whole-grain tortillas, these confections are best eaten while they are still warm. Pop them in the oven right before supper and they’ll make the perfect homemade holiday dessert. This recipe is featured in the current season of “Jazzy Vegetarian” on Create TV.
Makes 8 cookies
• 3 8-inch whole-wheat or brown rice tortillas
• 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus more as needed
• 48 to 60 (about 1/4 cup) vegan dark chocolate chips
• 12 to 24 dried cherries, cranberries, or raisins
• 1/4 cup vegan powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Cut four rounds out of each tortilla using a 3 to 4-inch cookie cutter. Place a cut tortilla round on a plate. Brush both sides of the tortilla round with a very thin layer of maple syrup using a pastry brush, making certain to moisten the edges well. Repeat with the remaining rounds.
3. Arrange 4 to 5 vegan chocolate chips down the center of each tortilla round. Add 1 or 2 cherries next to the chocolate chips. Fold the far edge of the tortilla over the filling, sealing the edges of the tortilla together, pressing firmly with your fingers. Further seal the edges by pressing the outer tongs of a table fork firmly around the outer rim of the cookie. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Put the taco cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake 5 minutes, then check to make sure the edges of the taco cookies are still sealed. If not, remove from oven and reseal. Bake 5 to 7 minutes more, or until chocolate is melted and the edges of the cookies are slightly golden. Transfer each cookie to a wire rack. Dust the cookies with confectioners’ sugar. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. These must be served warm!
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.