Here’s a festive and fabulous way to serve a first course salad, any time of the year. Spooned into tiny parfait or champagne glasses, this tasty combo provides a refreshing change to a standard green salad.
Makes 4 to 5 servings | Ease Factor 1
• Juice from half a medium lemon
• 1 small clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (see note)
• 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
• 10 to 14 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
• 1 medium-to-large avocado, pit removed, peeled and diced
1. Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk briskly to emulsify.
2. Put all of the salad ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Pour in the dressing and gently stir to combine. Season with more salt, to taste. Cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes before serving.
3. To serve as a fancy first course, spoon into pretty glasses, displayed on a decorative plate.
Chef’s Note: For an oil-free dressing, omit the olive oil and proceed with the recipe as directed.
Amount per serving, based on 5 servings: 54 Calories; 4g Fat; 1g Saturated fat; 1g Protein; 4mg Sodium; 5g Total Carbohydrate; 1g Sugars; 2g Fiber
Recipe from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease, © 2015 Laura Theodore, reprinted by permission.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio. Visit Laura on Facebook and follow her on Twitter for daily recipes and tips for serving delicious, plant-based meals.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE