There is something so lovely about summer eating. Just like summer living, we lighten up, throw on the lightest of coverings and enjoy! So in the spirit of light I am offering you some truly wonderful ideas for pure and fresh eating!
Let’s start with dessert, even though we are told growing up that dessert is for “after all vegetables are eaten.” I say, why not combine the two of them?
Blender ice creams offer you an endless opportunity to experiment with fresh fruits and vegetables! The basic recipe goes like this (I use all organic ingredients.)
• 4 ounces of raw milk cream
• 4 ounces of raw milk
• 1 raw egg yolk
• 1 tablespoon of raw honey
• 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit or vegetables, or if you’re adventurous mix them together! (I love blueberries with apples and kale)
• dash of sea salt
• 1/2 capful of vanilla extract
Mix in a high powered blender and freeze in a covered glass dish of some sort for 3 hours Enjoy!
If you love salads in the summer this one is fun and different!
• Romaine lettuce
• 1 red pepper
• 1 cucumber
• 1 small onion
• 2 carrots
• 1 cup of red cabbage
• 1 cup of cooked chick peas
Chop and mix the flavors with Parmesan cheese and a light dressing.
This is a savory and sweet soup. Great with a salad and fresh bread or goat cheese.
• 2 cups of mangoes
• 2 cups of orange juice
• 1 cup of cucumber
• 1 red pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tablespoons of lime juice
• 2 tablespoons of cilantro, basil or mint
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• Sea salt and garnish on the side for added taste; garnish can be avocado, salt and pepper
Remember that light doesn't have to be boring!
Also, the table setting is equal to the dish being served. Linens and fresh flowers and festive glassware make it all come together for a memorable meal in the garden or patio with friends and family.
Photo By Lynn Schriner
Lynn Schriner aka Organic Girl is a singer/songwriter and 2013 Independent country music associations Folk Artist of the year. She lives on Trolley Farm with her husband and animals and writes every day about the journey.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE