In Simply Satisfying (The Experiment, 2012), author Jeanne Lemlin offers more than 200 seasonal vegetarian recipes featuring readily available ingredients and straightforward techniques that are sure to please even the most dedicated of carnivores. These three vegetarian appetizer recipes come from the chapter "Starters." You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Simply Satisfying.
This is a richly flavored, spicy dip that is very easy to prepare. It is one of my favorite appetizers, and a good choice to acquaint newcomers to the flavors of curry. I highly recommend serving it with hot pita bread triangles so you can scoop it up, but it also works well as a spread on crackers.
Makes 1 1/4 cups
• 1 medium eggplant (1 1/4 pounds)
• 3 tablespoons butter or Ghee
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons yogurt
• 2 tomato wedges for garnish
• Fresh coriander or parsley sprigs for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the stem end off the eggplant and discard. Prick the eggplant with a fork in a few places to prevent it from exploding when cooking, and place it on a pie plate or baking dish. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the eggplant collapses and is very soft. Let sit for 10 minutes or so, or until cool enough to handle.
2. Meanwhile, heat the butter or ghee in a medium skillet. Add the coriander, turmeric, cumin seeds, cayenne, and garlic to the skillet, and “toast” these spices for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomato and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
3. Scoop out the pulp of the eggplant into a medium bowl and mash very well. Add the spiced tomato mixture, salt, and yogurt, and mix well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. Spoon into a serving dish and garnish with the tomato wedges and the coriander or parsley sprigs. Serve with hot pita bread triangles.
For more recipes, see the original article, 3 Vegetarian Appetizer Recipes.
Recipe is excerpted from Simply Satisfying: Over 200 Vegetarian Recipes You’ll Want to Make Again and Again, copyright © Jeanne Lemlin, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. Buy this book from our store: Simply Satisfying.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE