In Simply Satisfying (The Experiment, 2012), author Jeanne Lemlin offers more than 200 seasonal vegetarian recipes featuring readily available ingredients and straightforward techniques that are sure to please even the most dedicated of carnivores. These three vegetarian appetizer recipes come from the chapter "Starters." You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Simply Satisfying.
Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
The toasted flavor of the sunflower seeds nicely complements the blue cheese in this stuffing. This version is cheesy and delicious.
• 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
• 12 large mushrooms
• 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
• 1/4 cup cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 2 tablespoons fine bread or cracker crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the sunflower seeds in a baking dish large enough to hold the 12 mushrooms (to save you from dirtying an extra pan) and toast them in the oven until lightly golden, about 7 minutes.
2. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and reserve for another use. Wipe the mushroom caps clean with a damp cloth.
3. Mash the blue cheese, cream cheese, and milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in the toasted sunflower seeds and bread crumbs.
4. Fill each mushroom cap with this mixture. Butter the baking dish and arrange the mushroom caps within. May be prepared to this point up to 24 hours in advance, covered, and chilled. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden on top and juicy. Serve immediately.
For more recipes, see the original article, 3 Vegetarian Appetizer Recipes.
Recipe is excerpted from Simply Satisfying: Over 200 Vegetarian Recipes You’ll Want to Make Again and Again, copyright © Jeanne Lemlin, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. Buy this book from our store: Simply Satisfying.