Devoted Sriracha addicts know that this fiery red condiment adds the perfect spicy kick to their favorite foods. But for those who want to take it to the next level, Randy Clemens shows how versatile this garlicky, pungent sauce can be in The Veggie-Lover’s Sriracha Cookbook (Ten Speed Press, 2013). This excerpt from the “Desserts and Drinks” section gives you a unique and refreshing, Watermelon Sangria Recipe With Sriracha that you won’t find on your local bar’s drink menu.
Watermelon Sangria Recipe With Sriracha
So, a funny thing happened to me on the way to this recipe. You see, when The Sriracha Cookbook first came out, a mention of Sriracha Sangria somehow got on the press release, though I swear I’d never brought up such a concoction. Ever. But lo and behold, it seemed as though everyone was mentioning it: “Oh! I can’t wait to try it!” and the like. The only problem was that it didn’t exist. But now, in a delectable display of supply and demand, I made a rockin’ recipe for Sriracha Sangria, with the wonderful addition of everyone’s favorite summertime treat: watermelon. It’s procrastination in a glass.
• 8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
• 1 (750 ml) bottle dry unoaked white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio)
• 1/4 cup Calvados, light rum or brandy
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons Sriracha
• 2 limes, thinly sliced
• 12 fluid ounces natural ginger ale (such as Reed’s Original Ginger Brew)
• Ice cubes, to serve
• Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
1. In a blender, puree 6 cups of the watermelon. Strain into a large pitcher. Add the wine, Calvados, sugar, Sriracha, lime slices, and remaining 2 cups of watermelon. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (This can be made up to 2 days in advance.)
2. When ready to serve, give the mixture a healthy stir, then pour in the ginger ale. Put a few ice cubes in each glass, then fill with the sangria, making sure to get some lime and watermelon goodies in everyone’s cup. Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve immediately.
More from The Veggie Lover's Sriracha Cookbook
Reprinted with permission from The Veggie Lover’s Sriracha Cookbook: 50 Vegan “Rooster Sauce” Recipes That Pack a Punch by Randy Clemens. Copyright © 2013 by Randy Clemens. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.