Chef Gordon Hamersley created this simple summer vegetable gratin for his bistro.
Summer Vegetable Tian is light and healthy.
Chef Gordon Hamersley created this simple vegetable gratin for Hamersley’s Bistro.
• Olive oil for sautéing
• 2 medium leeks, white and light-green parts thinly sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• Kosher salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 2 to 3 tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
• 1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
• 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino-Romano
1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender. Season with salt and pepper and spread on the bottom of a 1-1/2-quart gratin dish.
3. Add 2 more tablespoons olive oil to hot sauté pan. Put flour on a plate. Lightly coat slices of eggplant with flour on both sides, shaking off excess, and add to pan. Brown eggplant on both sides, adding oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
4. Layer tomatoes, squash, zucchini and cooked eggplant into gratin dish on top of leek mixture. Sprinkle thyme, marjoram and white wine over vegetables.
5. Season with salt and pepper, then bake 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and serve. Serves 6
Reprinted with permission from (Broadway Books, 2003). Copyright by Gordon Hamersley.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE