Preserve your summer tomatoes with this sauce that tastes good year-round.
Preserve your summer tomatoes with this recipe to enjoy their fresh flavor year-round. For more freezable tomato and basil recipes, read the original article, Endless Summer: 3 Recipes for Tomatoes and Basil to Freeze for Later.
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 3-1/4 pounds fresh heirloom, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
• 8 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1-1/2 cups (about 1 pound) yellow onion, chopped
• 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped, to taste (optional)
• 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, to taste (optional)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Use a little oil to coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spread tomatoes evenly across dish.
2. Mix garlic, onion, oregano, basil and 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread evenly over tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and toss.
3. Bake in a 375-degree oven for about an hour.
4. Let cool, then blend tomatoes to a rich puree in a food processor.
5. Wait to adjust the salt and pepper seasoning until you’re ready to use the sauce.
6. Freeze sauce in sterile glass containers or freezer bags. Makes 4 cups. Keeps for about 6 months.