Discover a mix of 75 health conscious dishes using nourishing super fruits in Stephanie Pedersen’s Berries: The Complete Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Berries (Sterling Publishing, 2016). The following excerpt is from "Berries for Lunch".
Quinoa, a “super seed” that we use as a culinary grain, is a high-protein wonder that not only leaves you feeling satiated, but also provides steady energy to help you get through whatever your workday throws at you too! Raspberries, red bell pepper, mango, and coconut make this salad especially delicious.
• 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons liquid coconut oil, divided
• 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
• 4 cups water
• 1 cup diced mango
• 1 cup raspberries
• 1/2 cup red onion, diced
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (or a combination)
• 1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
• 1 cup slivered almonds
• 2 cups chopped cooked chicken, turkey, or pork or cooked black beans
• Juice of 5 limes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil to a medium saucepot over medium-high heat. Add rinsed quinoa and stir until most of the moisture has evaporated.
2. Add 4 cups water to the quinoa. When it reaches a boil, cover the pot and turn the heat to low. Let it cook for fifteen to twenty minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow the pot to sit, covered.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, combine the mango, raspberries, red onion, red pepper, cilantro, coconut, almonds, and chicken in a large bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
5. Add the quinoa and vinaigrette to the ingredients in the large bowl. Gently fold ingredients together, taking care not to crush the berries.
More Recipes from Berries: The Complete Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Berries• Gluten-Free Coconut Berry Waffles
Reprinted with permission from Berries: The Complete Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Berries by Stephanie Pedersen and published by Sterling Publishing, 2016.