This simple pizza dough recipe turns out the most tender dough for irresistible pizza, flatbreads and breadsticks.
Along with perfect pizza, this tender dough makes the most irresistible flatbreads, pita breads, breadsticks and even soft rolls. The dough can be frozen, either raw or baked. It’s very easy (and worthwhile) to simply double the measurements. Use it as a base for this easy vegetarian Onion and Kale Pizza.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups bread flour
• 1-1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
• 1 teaspoon instant dried yeast
• 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil, plus a little extra
• 1-1/3 cups warm water
1. Put the two flours into a large bowl with salt and yeast. Mix well.
2. Add oil and warm water and mix to a rough dough.
3. Flour your hands a little and tip out the dough onto a work surface. Knead rhythmically for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth. This is a loose and sticky dough, which will yield nicely textured bread. Try not to add too much flour. It will become less sticky as you knead.
4. Drizzle a little oil into a clean bowl, add kneaded dough, and turn it in the oil so it is lightly covered. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave in a warm place until doubled in size—at least an hour, probably closer to 2.
5. When dough is well-risen and puffy, tip it out and “punch it down” by poking it with your outstretched fingers until it collapses to its former size.
This article is reprinted with permission from River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE