Try this Wheatberry Salad recipe with a Blood Orange Vinaigrette dressing.
Elena likes this wintery salad for large gatherings or potlucks because it keeps well and is delicious at room temperature.
Read more about Elena Burgeno-Berman’s foodie heritage in In Living Color: On Family and Fresh Food in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California.
• 1/3 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (or navel orange)
• 1 teaspoon blood orange zest (or navel orange)
• 1/3 cup dried cranberries
• 3 cups cooked wheatberries (cooled)
• 1 large Fuji apple, unpeeled and diced
• 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted pistachios, shelled
• 1 cup arugula or baby spinach, julienned
• 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup crumbled goat feta (less salty than regular feta), optional
1. In a small bowl, combine blood orange juice, zest and cranberries. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine wheatberries, apples and pistachios. Set aside.
3. Drain cranberry mixture, reserving juice, then gently mix cranberry mixture and arugula into wheatberry mixture.
4. To make Blood Orange Vinaigrette, combine reserved juice, raspberry vinegar and oil in a small lidded jar and shake.
5. Pour dressing evenly over salad and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. When ready to serve, crumble feta over top, if using. Serves 6.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE