A Year of Picnics (Roost Books, 2016) by Ashley English presents everything you need to picnic through all four seasons, with over 70 picnic-perfect recipes, tips on selecting your location, advice for packing your basket, and creative ideas for outdoor activities.
Watercress and Feta Salad
Watercress is a leafy green typically found growing beside creek beds. As such, including it in this picnic is a gentle nod to the many edibles typically found in forested areas. It has a bit of a peppery bite to it, which is balanced perfectly by the feta.
for the vinaigrette
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
for the salad
- 2 bunches of watercress
- 1 cup diced pickled beets,
- cut into small chunks
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Prepare the Dressing: Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a lidded container, such as a mason jar. Shake vigorously to fully combine.
- Prepare the Salad: Roughly tear the watercress into 1- to 2-inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add the pickled beets and the feta to the bowl. Pour in about 1⁄2 cup of the vinaigrette, reserving the extra for later use. Using salad tongs, toss everything together until completely combined and coated with the vinaigrette.
- Plate individual portions and serve immediately.
For more recipes from A Year of Picnics visit:
From A Year of Picnics by Ashley English © 2017 by Ashley English. Photographs © 2017 by Jen Altman. Reprinted in arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc. Boulder, CO. www.roostbooks.com