In Vegan Ice Cream (Ten Speed Press, 2014), author Jeff Rogers offers decadent frozen alternatives that don’t rely on milk, cream or refined white sugar. These delicious dairy-free ice cream recipes are simple yet inventive, and from the first taste, you’ll be astonished at just how rich and tasty vegan ice cream can be. In this excerpt from “Raw Ice Cream,” learn how to make delectable black forest ice cream.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Vegan Ice Cream.
Like the German torte of the same name, this ice cream layers crisp fresh cherries and luxurious, rich chocolate for a decadent treat. Garnish with sliced fresh cherries.
Vegan Black Forest Ice Cream Recipe
• 3/4 cup packed organic pitted black dates
• 3/4 cup purified water or coconut water
• 1 3/4 pounds organic Bing, Lambert, or Rainier cherries, pitted, plus 1 cup chopped pitted cherries
• 1 cup raw organic cashews or cashew pieces
• 1/2 cup raw organic cacao powder
1. Place the dates in a jar, add the water, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Drain, reserving the sweet soaking liquid.
2. Run the 1 3/4 pounds cherries through a juicer to make 2 cups juice. Place the chopped cherries in the freezer to chill.
3. Combine the soaking liquid from the dates, cherry juice, and cashews in a blender. Blend until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the dates and blend on high until silky smooth, at least 1 minute. With the motor running, add the cacao powder and blend until evenly distributed. Place the blender in the freezer for 40 minutes to 1 hour or in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight, until well chilled.
4. Pour the cherry juice mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Remove the cover and blade from the ice cream maker and fold in the chopped cherries, distributing evenly. Serve immediately or transfer to airtight containers and store in the freezer until ready to serve.
More Recipes from Vegan Ice Cream
Recipe reprinted with permission from Vegan Ice Cream by Jeff Rogers, copyright © 2004, 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press. Buy this book from our store: Vegan Ice Cream.