See how easy it is to make your own relish with this Homemade Sweet Pickle Relish recipe.
This is great for imperfect cucumbers that can often be had for a steal from farmers markets—just cut out the bad spots.
Try making all of your condiments at home. Read Homemade Condiments: Recipes for Ketchup, Mustard and More.
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 medium sweet bell pepper, diced
• Several twists freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons pickling salt or fish sauce
• 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon brown or yellow mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon celery seeds
• 1 teaspoon dill seeds
• 1 1/2 pounds pickling cucumbers, seeded and diced
• 1/4 cup honey or sugar (Honey imparts its own flavor.)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1. In a medium saucepan, combine onion, peppers, salt, vinegar, garlic and seeds. Boil for 10 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.
2. Add cucumbers and honey. Boil another 10 minutes.
3. Stir in fresh dill. Before serving, allow at least an hour for flavors to mingle.
4. Refrigerate for up to 1 month. Makes about 3 cups.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE