Wondering what to serve your family? Turn to Allergy-Free Cooking for Kids (Sterling Epicure, 2014) to find tasty, kid-friendly recipes that are free of allergens. Pamela Clark has organized dishes into three sections—dairy-free, gluten-free and egg-free—which cover every meal from breakfast and dinner to snack and desserts. The following recipe for sticky date cakes make a super-sweet dessert for parties and other special occasions.
This recipe is also gluten-free.
Sticky Date Cakes Recipe with Orange Caramel Sauce
• 1 cup (5 oz) pitted dried dates
• 3/4 cup boiling water
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 4 oz dairy-free spread
• 3/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
• 4 eggs
• 2 cups (8 oz) ground almonds
• 1/2 cup desiccated (dried) coconut
• 1/2 cup rice flour
Orange Caramel Sauce:
• 3 tablespoons dairy-free spread
• 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
• 1/3 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/325 F convection. Grease two 6-hole (3/4-cup) jumbo muffin pans; line base of each pan hole with parchment.
2. Combine dates, water, and soda in bowl of food processor. Place lid in position; let stand 5 minutes, then process until almost smooth.
3. Beat spread and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time (mixture will curdle). Transfer to large bowl; stir in ground almonds, coconut, and sifted flour, then the date mixture. Divide mixture among pan holes.
4. Bake cakes about 25 minutes. Stand in pan 5 minutes before serving.
5. Make orange caramel sauce.
6. Serve warm cakes with hot orange caramel sauce.
Orange Caramel Sauce:
Melt spread in small frying pan over low heat. Add sugar; stir until dissolved. Add juice; cook, stirring, until sauce thickens slightly.
An easy way to line the bases of the muffin pan holes is to cut the bottom out of jumbo muffin paper liners and use them. You can substitute ground hazelnuts for the ground almonds
Nutritional Count Per Cake: 400 calories; 23.5 g total fat (4.7 g saturated fat); 38.5 g carbohydrate; 3.6 g fiber; 7.3 g protein
More from Allergy-Free Cooking for Kids
Reprinted with permission from Allergy Free Cooking for Kids © 2014 by Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photography by ACP Magazines Limited and is reproduced with permission.