This Squid Pasta Sauce recipe is one of the winning entries from the Great Spaghetti Sauce recipe contest.
Try this Squid Pasta Sauce recipe with your favorite pasta for a great main dish meal.
Fish and seafood of all kinds are great in tomato sauce, and we received wonderful recipes involving mussels, clams, shrimp, scallops, octopus, conch, and generic fish. This one is relatively easy, once you recover from cleaning the squid.
• 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
• 2 pounds Italian plum tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
• 1 pound squid, cleaned, tentacles intact and body cut in bite-size pieces
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
• 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat butter or oil in large saucepan. Add tomatoes and onions and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break apart easily and onion is soft.
2. Add squid, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes more. Add herbs and cook for 5 minutes. The squid should be very tender. Add salt and pepper, and serve over 1 pound spaghetti or perciatelli (tubular spaghetti).
— Angela Luis Dougherty
Check out more delicious spaghetti sauce recipes here: The Great Spaghetti Sauce Cookoff recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE