New to veganism and feeling overwhelmed? Find practical advice, inspiration and dozens of recipes for delicious, wholesome meals in Eat Like You Give a Damn (Book Publishing Co., 2015) by Michelle Schwegmann and Josh Hooten. The following recipe for Skillet Taco Pizza is perfect for nights in.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Eat Like You Give a Damn.
PREPARING HOMEMADE pizza dough is a magical experience, and it makes this cultural train wreck of deliciousness all the more special. But it’s fine to use a store-bought crust, if you prefer. Look for a cornmeal crust for the best results, but any crust that’s vegan will do. If you’re like us, you love left over pizza for breakfast. If you’re like us, you’ll never see any of this left over, because it’s so damn good.
Skillet Taco Pizza Recipe
• 1 cornmeal pizza crust, homemade or store-bought
• Cornmeal, for dusting
• 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
• 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 cup thick salsa
• 1 cup refried beans
• 1 cup tofu queso fresco
• 1 avocado, diced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Mist a 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal. The pizza pan is ready.
2. Mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. When hot, add the corn, onion, garlic, and chili powder and cook, stirring frequently, until the corn and onion brown and smell divine, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Roll out the pizza dough to one inch wider than the circumference of the prepared skillet. Lay the dough in the skillet and gently press it down. The dough should come up the sides of the skillet a bit. This will create a great pizza-eating handle. Woo!
4. Spread the salsa over the dough. Spread the refried beans over the salsa. If the beans are thick, don’t worry. Just put a dollop down and spread it out as best you can; the oven will do the rest. Sprinkle the corn mixture evenly over the refried beans. Drop spoonfuls of the tofu queso fresco over the top (remember that it will melt and spread in the oven too).
5. Bake for 12 minutes. Check to see if the crust is done to your liking. Bake for 1 to 2 minutes longer if it’s not yet done. Cast iron gets very hot, so take care not to burn the crust (or your hand—wear an oven mitt!). When the pizza is done, it will easily turn out onto a cutting board in one piece. Top with the avocado and sprinkle with the cilantro. Cut the pie into slices and enjoy!
Per slice: 240 calories, 10 g protein, 9 g fat (1 g sat), 30 g carbohydrates, 435 mg sodium, 94 mg calcium, 6 g fiber — Note: Analysis doesn’t include cornmeal for dusting.
More recipes from Eat Like You Give a Damn
Reprinted with permission from Eat Like You Give a Damn: Recipes for the New Ethical Vegan by Michelle Schwegmann and Josh Hooten, published by Book Publishing Co., 2015.