This versatile breakfast allows you to use up leftover grains from previous meals, folding in leafy greens for a bit of color. Think of it as a template.
Scrambled Eggs Recipe With Whole Grains and Leafy Greens
• 4 large eggs, beaten
• 1 tablespoon milk
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 green onion, white and light green parts, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 heaping cup well-packed, chopped leafy greens
• 1/2 cup cooked whole grains (such as wheat berries, farro, barley or millet)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Flaky salt
• Crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas, for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and kosher salt; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add green onion and garlic; sauté until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add greens, grains and remaining tablespoon olive oil, then sauté until greens are wilted and grains are warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Decrease heat to low and pour in egg mixture, gently stirring to comingle with the greens and grains. Stir until eggs are softly scrambled, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in chives, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Serve hot with bread or tortillas alongside.
Note: Adding grated Parmesan or creamy chèvre is nice. For a splurge, cook up a few chanterelle mushrooms in butter and fold them into the eggs.
Find more power packed recipes: Read 4 High-Protein Breakfast Recipes.
This article was reprinted with permission from Whole-Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon. Whole-Grain Mornings offers recipes based on local harvests and organized by season, and all feature healthy whole grains and plenty of protein. Buy this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Whole-Grain Mornings.