Hang on to your hats, people. This recipe may strike you as a little strange, but don’t knock it ’til you try it. If you consider that much of the world eats yogurt with salt and spices (think Indian raita and Greek tzatziki), you’ll realize that we’re a little late to the game. The yogurt here is perfumed with lemon zest and topped with creamy avocado and toasted almonds. Talk about healthy fats! It’s not a big breakfast, but it delivers a nutrient-dense package that will have everyone bright-eyed and bushy-tailed all morning long.
• 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 regular or Meyer lemon
• 1/2 large ripe avocado, cut into small cubes
• 1/3 cup chopped or slivered toasted almonds
1. Spoon yogurt into 2 bowls.
2. Drizzle olive oil over the 2 bowls and sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt over each.
3. Zest enough lemon rind over the yogurt so it looks like a little shower of lemon “snow” on top. Stir well.
4. Top with avocado and a few drops of fresh lemon juice.
5. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt over the avocado and then top with the almonds. Serves 2.Find more great healthy breakfast recipes in Delicious & Quick Morning Meals.