In Cast-Iron Cooking (Storey Publishing, 2016), by Rachael Narins, learn to get the most from your cast-iron cookware with 40 fabulous recipes especially designed for cast iron, from a full English breakfast to chilaquiles, pan pizza, cheesy beer fondue, Korean fried chicken, vegetarian chili, mango curry, party nuts, two kinds of cornbread, baked apples, gingerbread — and the perfect grilled cheese sandwich! You’ll also learn how to buy the cast-iron pots and pans that are right for you and how to care for them successfully.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Cast-Iron Cooking.
Sausage and Kale, paired with lentils, is a hearty dish. Crushing the kale a little with your hands softens it and makes the texture more manageable. Leftovers can be chopped up and added to a rich chicken stock for a filling soup.
Sausage and Kale with Lentils Recipe
• 4 cups dried brown lentils
• 6 cups plus 1 tablespoon water
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 uncooked garlic sausages, split lengthwise
• 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
• 5 garlic cloves, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine the lentils, 6 cups of water, and salt to taste in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer over medium-low and cook until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the sausages and roast, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, using your hands, crush the kale until it’s limp.
4. When the sausage is cooked, add the crushed kale and garlic. Sauté, turning often, for 2 minutes.
5. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon water, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cover. Let cook for 2 minutes, then uncover and add the lentils. Continue to cook, covered, until the lentils are warmed through, about 3 minutes.
More from Cast Iron Cooking:
Excerpted from Cast-Iron Cooking (c) Rachael Narins. Photographs by (c) Keller + Keller Photography. Used with permission of Storey Publishing. Buy this book from our store: Cast-Iron Cooking.