These peppers make an ultra-easy appetizer. Bring just the amount you plan to use to room temperature and serve them on toasted crostini, with or without cheese.
Roasted Sweet Peppers and Herbs Preserved in Oil Recipe
• 1 pound ripe sweet peppers
• 4 to 6 cloves garlic, diced
• Handful each of fresh basil, parsley and oregano leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• About 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1. Using your oven’s broiler, a gas or charcoal grill, or the flame of a gas burner, carefully char peppers until the outer skins are black all the way around. Set aside to cool, then slip off and discard skins. Slice into strips and discard seeds.
2. Toss peppers in garlic, herbs and salt. Add to pint jar and cover completely with oil. Refrigerate and use for about a month.
For more recipes for preserving food check out our End-of-Summer Food Preservation Guide.