This Roasted Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce recipe is one of the winning entries from the Great Spaghetti Sauce recipe contest.
Try this Roasted Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce recipe with your favorite pasta for a great main dish meal.
Many of our readers are drying their own tomatoes, and just a few bits of these rich, deep-flavored sun-dried nuggets can elevate a simple sauce to something truly special. This entry compounds that great fresh-tomato flavor by roasting the tomatoes first.
• 4 pounds Italian plum tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 8 to 10 halves of sun-dried, oil-packed tomatoes
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1. Place sliced tomatoes on broiler pan and broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for about 10 minutes, or until edges have begun to blacken.
2. Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Lower heat and add garlic. Sauté briefly; do not brown.
3. Add pepper flakes, dried tomatoes, basil, and oregano and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 or 3 minutes more.
5. Add broiled tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until thick.
6. Serve over 1 pound pasta with grated romano or parmesan cheese.
— Barbara Stollberg
Check out more delicious spaghetti sauce recipes here: The Great Spaghetti Sauce Cookoff recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE