Inspired by a classic French snack, this Radish Butter recipe is peppery, sweet and crunchy.
“Flavored Butters” provides recipes and techniques for homemade flavored butters. With 50 recipes, author Lucy Vaserfirer offers up ideas that are amazingly quick to execute in the kitchen and transformative in the flavor they impart.
Radish-flavored butter tastes scrumptious with a slice of fresh baguette. This irresistible Radish Butter recipe is excerpted from Flavored Butters (The Harvard Common Press, 2013), a guide that features sweet and savory butter recipes as well as techniques for making delicious homemade flavored butters.
The favorite French snack of radishes with butter and fleur de sel inspired this recipe. It’s a simple combination, yet the play of peppery and sweet with the zing of crunchy salt is irresistible when spread on a fresh baguette.
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, preferably cultured, softened
• 2 ounces radishes, preferably French breakfast radishes, finely diced
• 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel or other finishing sea salt, or to taste
1. Blend together the butter, radishes and salt in a medium-size bowl.
2. Form into a log and refrigerate until firm before slicing and serving, or use another shaping method (see 3 Delectable Compound Butter Recipes). Don’t freeze this butter. Radish butter serves 8.
• Radish-Herb Butter: Blend in 2 tablespoons minced fresh tender herbs such as chives, flat-leaf parsley, chervil, dill, basil and/or mint.
For more from Flavored Butters, check out the article 3 Delectable Compound Butter Recipes.
“Radish Butter Recipe” has been reprinted with permission from Flavored Butters: How to Make Them, Shape Them and Use Them as Spreads, Toppings and Sauces by Lucy Vaserfirer and published by The Harvard Common Press, 2013.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE