This Puttanesca Spaghetti Sauce recipe is one of the winning entries from the Great Spaghetti Sauce recipe contest.
Try this Puttanesca Spaghetti Sauce recipe for your next pasta dish.
Photo By Fotolia/Igor Dutina
Try this Puttanesca Spaghetti Sauce recipe with your favorite pasta for a great main dish meal.
Anchovies, capers, olives, and garlic result in a mysterious and wholly Italian taste experience that even anchovy haters tend to like. This recipe was, in our opinion, the best of several on this theme. We would only suggest the possibility of adding the fresh herbs later in the cooking process.
• 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 28-ounce cans peeled Italian plum tomatoes, or 40 to 50 fresh tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil
• 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
• 1 large head garlic, about 12 cloves
• 2 tablespoons capers, drained
• 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1. Heat olive oil in large dutch oven. Add anchovies and stir together until oil and anchovies make a paste. Add the tomatoes, liquid and all. Break up the tomatoes and cook for 2 hours, then add the basil and oregano and half the garlic. Cook for 6 to 8 hours, adding a little water as needed. The sauce will become a dark, rich red. In the last half hour, add the remaining garlic, olives, and capers. Cook a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over pasta and pass the grated Parmesan. Serves a bunch.
— Ellen Boehm Smith
San Jose, California
Check out more delicious spaghetti sauce recipes here: The Great Spaghetti Sauce Cookoff recipes.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE