Dandelion and Quince (Roost Books, 2016), by Michelle McKenzie, explores more than thirty-five uncommon vegetable, fruits, and herbs found at local farmers markets across the country. With McKenzie’s superb guidance, you can now add new choices to your pantry and enhance your cooking skills.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Dandelion and Quince.
This dish is a study in contrasts: succulent greens layered with soft, starchy potatoes; crispy fat; and crunchy radishes.
• 2 pounds baby potatoes
• 6 ounces pancetta, sliced
• 1/4 inch thick
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• Fine sea salt
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 bunches baby radishes, cut in quarters
• 4 ounces purslane, cut into
• 1- to 2-inch pieces
• 3 cups torn or roughly snipped herbs (chives, tarragon, and/or parsley)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the baby potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch (you start the whole potatoes in cold water so they cook evenly from the center out). Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until a paring knife inserted in several potatoes meets no resistance.
4. Remove the potatoes from the heat, drain, and allow them to cool to room temperature.
5. Cut them in half or in quarters, depending on their size.
6. Meanwhile, place the pancetta slices on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the pancetta is brown and crispy.
7. Remove from the oven and drain on paper towels.
8. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, a pinch of sea salt, and the olive oil.
9. Add the potatoes, radishes, purslane, and herbs. Break the pancetta into large pieces and add to the bowl.
10. Gently toss the salad, plate, and serve at once (really, at once; the herbs wilt very quickly).
From Dandelion & Quince by Michelle McKenzie © 2016 by Michelle McKenzie. Photographs © 2016 by Rick Poon. Reprinted by arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc. Boulder, CO. Buy this book from our store: Dandelion and Quince.