A low-cost dish, this Potato Peanut Curry recipe is perfect for a gathering and easy to make from scratch.
Quick to prepare but complex in flavor, Potato Peanut Curry is a low-cost comfort food.
Photo by Veer
Looking for a spicy, rich dish suitable for company? This is it. Yet it’s fast enough to make from scratch on a weeknight. Serve over hot rice or with garlic flatbread. Double the recipe to enjoy the next day reheated or made into a dynamite burrito with scrambled eggs or sautéed bell peppers.
For more budget-friendly recipes from Linda Watson, visit Eating Organic on a Budget.
• 4 cloves garlic
• One-half 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (14 ounces total)
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 pound potatoes
• 2 tablespoons corn or canola oil
• 2 tablespoons tahini
• 2 tablespoons peanut butter
• 1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional but very good)
• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves or basil ribbons
1. Mince garlic and put in a small microwave-safe bowl. Set aside. Put tomatoes with their juice, water and salt in a medium pot, but don’t heat yet. This tomato bath will keep the potatoes from turning brown.
2. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes, stirring into pot as you go.
3. Cover pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer on medium-low so mixture barely boils.
4. Put oil, tahini, peanut butter and chipotle in bowl with garlic. Stir to combine, cover bowl and microwave on medium-high for about 2 minutes until the mixture is fragrant. Stir in turmeric if using, and then stir into potato mixture.
5. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley.
6. Serve hot in bowls, with rice if desired, or wrapped in flour tortillas. Refrigerate any extra. Freezing makes potatoes mushy. Makes 4 main dishes or 8 side dishes.
Linda Watson is the author of Wildly Affordable Organic, available at the Mother Earth Living store, and founder of Cook for Good, a website that helps people save money and eat well. She lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, with her husband.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE