Pointed Spring Cabbage with Noodles Recipe
The first time I had pointed cabbage with butter and almonds was on a shoot. I have always loved butter and cabbage, but add the almonds and it was so delicious I couldn’t stop eating it. I thought, I’m going to make this again with pasta! So I slimmed it down and added sorrel and lemon to bite through the fat of the butter. Smoked almonds add a lovely flavor element, but you could also use plain roasted nuts. Cooking the butter until it gets brown brings out a real nutty flavor. The French call it beurre noisette or brown butter.
Calories 493 | Carbs 60g | Sugar 7.5g | Protein 16g | Fiber 8g | Fat 19g | Sat Fat 7g | Salt 0.5g
- 400g (14oz) fresh pappardelle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small head of pointed cabbage, quartered and sliced
- Salt and pepper
To serve and garnish
- 30g (1oz) toasted smoked almonds, chopped
- Micro sorrel, if available, to garnish, or regular sorrel, shredded
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add salt and cook the noodles for 3–4 minutes, or until al dente, then drain.
- Warm a large, deep frying pan, add the oil and butter and cook, stirring, until it goes slightly brown and toasted. Add the cabbage and sauté until wilted, caramelized and soft but still with a bit of crunch. You may need to do this in a few batches.
- Toss the pasta with the cabbage, adjust the seasoning to taste, and serve in bowls, topped with the almonds and sorrel and with lemon wedges alongside.
More from Skinny Pasta:
Cover courtesy of Kyle Books
Excerpted with permission from Skinny Pasta by Julia Azzarello (Kyle Books, 2019).
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Delicious and Easy Frybread Tacos Recipe
Learn about the origins of frybread and follow this recipe to make fresh, homemade frybread tacos, sometimes known as Navajo tacos.
Spicy Chai Tea Recipe
Activate your internal fire with the pungent spices and aromatics of this chai tea to rid your body of unwanted toxins.