Try this protein- and fiber-packed Pineapple Basil Quinoa recipe.
The combination of pineapple and basil gives this whole-grain side dish a unique flavor. Quinoa only takes about 15 minutes to cook, making it the ultimate protein-, fiber- and nutrient-rich fast food. Learn more about the uses and health benefits of basil in Growing Basil: From Harvesting to Using.
• 1 cup quinoa
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
• 1 large handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
• 3/4 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Combine quinoa, water and 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a medium pot. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is totally soft (not al dente).
3. In a mixing bowl, toss together cooked quinoa, remaining coconut oil, basil, pineapple and salt until combined. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted with permission from the book 60 Seconds to Slim by Michelle Schoffro Cook.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE