This Perfect Poached Eggs recipe can be made for eggs Benedict or simply eaten by themselves.
Make the perfect poached eggs with these instructions.
Leon: Family & Friends (Conran Octopus, 2013) by Kay Plunkett-Hogge and John Vincent contains more than 200 inspiring recipes and is divided into three sections: Today, Tomorrow and Yesterday. Today recipes make it easier for you to feed your family and friends good food today. Tomorrow recipes are for special events that need more planning. And yesterday recipes celebrate the culinary memories of the past that have shaped the LEON family today. Learn how to make perfect poached eggs in this excerpt from chapter 1, “Breakfast & Brunch.”
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Leon: Family & Friends.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1.5 minutes
Low glycemic index, wheat free, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
Kay never used to cook a lot of poached eggs until chef Bryn Williams, of Odette’s in Primrose Hill, London, told her his infallible method. As he says, if you have to make fifty of the darned things a day, you want something foolproof. This is it
• 4 eggs
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
• 1 bowl of iced water — if you’re not serving them immediately
1. Crack the eggs into 4 individual ramekins or small dishes.
2. Fill the deepest saucepan you can find with water, add the salt and vinegar, and bring to a rolling boil. One by one, add the eggs. They will sink to the bottom of the pan, and as they do, you will see the white coming up and around the yolk. After about a minute, the eggs will start to rise up through the water. At this point, if you’re making them ahead of time, scoop the eggs out with a slotted spoon and plunge them immediately into the bowl of iced water to stop them cooking. When they’re cold, remove them from the water and set aside until you need them. If you’re serving them now, cook them for another 30 seconds to 1 minute in the boiling water for a firm white and a good runny yolk.
3. To reheat, bring a saucepan of clean water to a boil, add the cooled eggs and heat through for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Perfect Poached Eggs serves 4.
“Perfect Poached Eggs Recipe” has been reprinted with permission from Leon: Family & Friends by Kay Plunkett-Hogge and John Vincent and published by Conran Octopus, a division of Octopus Publishing, 2013. Buy this book from our store: Leon: Family & Friends.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE