One of my husband’s friends — a kind farmer named Greg — gave us a box of pears he grew. Inspired by his sweet gesture and the delicious fresh pears, I made this recipe for brunch, combining a simple fruit compote with fresh crepes and my favorite dairy-free cream cheese. My husband went back for seconds…and thirds…and fourths. I’d say it was a hit.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying pan
• 1-1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (for gluten-free, I use Bob’s Red Mill’s xanthan-free flour)
• 1-1⁄2 cups almond milk
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• Pinch sea salt
• 4 medium-sized pears, cored and sliced
• Pinch ground cardamom
• 1⁄2 cup water, divided
• 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
• 1 tablespoon tapioca
1. Over medium heat, add enough olive oil to grease a large frying pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk all crepe ingredients together. Pour enough batter to thinly coat frying pan. Cook until bubbles disappear. Flip, cook until other side is firm and remove.
3. Repeat until batter is used.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized frying pan over low to medium heat, add pears, cardamom and 1⁄4 cup water. Cook until pears are slightly softened.
5. In a small glass, mix remaining 1⁄4 cup water, sugar and tapioca until well-mixed. Add sugar-tapioca mixture to pears, stirring constantly.
6. Allow to cook another minute or until sauce has thickened. Serve immediately over crepes.
7. Top crepes with the pear mixture and Macadamia Cream Cheese.
Adapted with permission from Michelle Schoffro Cook’s upcoming book The Cultured Cook, culturedcook.com.