Over the Rainbow Recipe
•7 large rainbow chard leaves
•2 medium apples
•2 cups seedless purple grapes
•1 cup pineapple chunks (about 1 ⁄ 4 medium pineapple)
- Prepare rainbow chard by chopping the leaves and stem to appropriate-sized pieces for your juicer.
- Prepare apples by coring and cutting them into appropriate- sized pieces for your juicer.
- Process the rainbow chard, apples, grapes, and pineapple through the juicer.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve if desired.
- Consume immediately over ice or allow to chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Can be stored in a glass air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 12 hours if using a centrifugal juicer and up to 3 days if using a masticating juicer.
Key Ingredient:Rainbow Chard
Rainbow chard is a variety of Swiss chard with vibrantly colored stalks. That color is thanks, in part, to the concentration of betalains present. These phytonutrients have been shown to suppress pro-inflammatory enzymes cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase (LOX). Swiss chard also contains flavonoids like quercetin and kaempferol, which act as antihistamines and reduce allergic reactions and inflammatory responses in the body. All of these compounds acting together make rainbow chard an excellent anti-inflammatory food to include in your diet.
In addition, Swiss chard is one of the most vitamin- and mineral-rich green vegetables. It has been shown to be an excellent food for blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health.
The apples, grapes, and pineapple work together to mellow out the stronger flavor associated with the rainbow chard, making this a tasty and nutritious juice recipe.
Calories: 159 | Fat: 0.4 g | Protein: 1.4 g | Sodium: 241 mg Fiber: 0.0 g | Carbohydrates: 40.0 g | Sugar: 34.8 g
Excerpted from Anti-Inflammatory Drinks for Health by Maryea Flaherty. Copyright © 2019 Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher, Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. All rights reserved.
Stay hydrated this season with refreshing summer drinks.
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Delicious and Easy Frybread Tacos Recipe
Learn about the origins of frybread and follow this recipe to make fresh, homemade frybread tacos, sometimes known as Navajo tacos.