- 4 large strawberries, hulled
- 1 tablespoon water. Ice, as needed
- 3 ⁄ 4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup soda water
- In a small blender, blend the strawberries and water on high until they form a smooth purée. Set aside.
- Put the ice in a glass. Pour the orange juice in the glass and top it with the soda water.
- Stir in the strawberry purée.
- Consume immediately.
Key ingredient: Strawberries
Strawberries are among the most popular fruits consumed throughout the world. Not only are these berries scrumptious, but they are also highly nutritious and health-promoting. Strawberries score approximately a 40 on the glycemic index. This is a low number compared to many fresh fruits. Researchers have found that consumption of strawberries following a meal has a positive impact on the regulation of insulin and blood sugar levels. Strawberries contain a number of anti- inflammatory polyphenols, including ellagitannins. The ellagitannins in strawberries have been found to block inflammatory actions in the body.
This Orange Strawberry Fizz is another great soda alternative and is a beautifully colored drink.
Calories: 106 | Fat: 0.3 g | Protein: 1.8 g | Sodium: 13 mg Fiber: 1.8 g | Carbohydrates: 24.9 g | Sugar: 19.1 g
Excerpted from Anti-Inflammatory Drinks for Health by Maryea Flaherty. Copyright © 2019 Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher, Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. All rights reserved.