This is a delicious and hearty way to enjoy the flavor and medicinal properties of thyme. While the stew is great on its own, you can also serve it over your favorite biscuits for a real treat. This version is gluten-free and vegetarian, but the flavors work well with chicken or beef if you prefer a meaty stew. The smoked sea salt adds great flavor, but it’s fine to use plain sea salt instead.
Savory Mushroom & Vegetable Stew Recipe
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 4 large carrots, cut into 1⁄2-inch chunks
• 2 medium onions, cut into large chunks
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled
• Six 5- or 6-inch sprigs fresh thyme
• One 16-ounce package white mushrooms, sliced
• 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
• 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
• 1⁄2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons gluten-free, all-purpose flour
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add carrots and onions, and allow to cook uncovered until slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add whole garlic cloves, thyme, mushrooms, peas and sea salt.
3. Cover and let cook until vegetables and mushrooms are softened, about 10 minutes.
4. In a small, separate bowl, stir water and flour together until well-mixed (be sure there are no lumps of flour remaining). Pour the water-flour mixture into the pot and let cook until thickened. It should form a thick gravy. Remove from heat and serve.
Learn more about thyme in All About Thyme.
Adapted with permission from the upcoming book 60 Seconds to Boost Your Brain Power by Michelle Schoffro Cook (Rodale, 2015).