This makes about 2-1⁄2 cups—enough for several recipes. For an individual serving, put 1⁄4 cup in a cotton drawstring bag. Toss in 1 to 2 star anise pods or cinnamon sticks per bag, if you like.
Mulling Spice Mix Recipe
• 4 whole nutmeg
• 1⁄2 cup cardamom pods
• 1⁄2 cup sweet cinnamon chips
• 1⁄4 cup each: orange peel, lemon peel, ginger root, whole cloves, whole allspice berries
• 2 organic vanilla beans, insides scraped
• Star anise, whole pods (optional)
• Sweet cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Put nutmeg and cardamom in a cloth bag and whack with a rolling pin to break into pieces.
2. In a bowl, combine nutmeg and cardamom pieces, cinnamon chips, orange and lemon peel, ginger root, cloves and allspice berries. Add inside of vanilla beans (save vanilla pods for homemade vanilla extract or to infuse honey).
Find more traditional holiday treats, decor and activities in Have an Old-Fashioned Holiday.
This recipe was supplied by Mountain Rose Herbs, one of our favorite suppliers of organic herbs and herbal teas. To find this recipe and another for a Mulled Orange Tea Hot Toddy, visit Mountain Rose Blog.