Crave-worthy treats can be abundantly healthy! Satisfy your cravings with nutrient-dense, delicious treats from Superfood Snacks (Sterling, 2015) by, natural food chef and bestselling author, Julie Morris. The following recipe for a Kombucha Ice Cream Float isn’t just for dessert.
A long time ago, I discovered that combining bubbly kombucha with vanilla extract and a little stevia gives cream soda a real run for its money. So of course, like any dedicated sweet tooth, I thought of ice cream floats. And sure enough, kombucha makes absolutely outstanding ones. Kombucha ice cream floats—simply assembled with fruit and ice cream—are great to serve at dinner parties, especially when you top them off, dramatically, with foamy kombucha right at the table. However, since all of the ingredients in this ice cream float are so healthy, you don’t have to wait for a dinner party to enjoy them. You can whip up this guilt-free treat anytime for a little pick-me-up!
Kombucha Ice Cream Float Recipe
For the float:
• 1 cup unflavored kombucha
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 5 drops liquid stevia
• 1/3 cup frozen raspberries
• 1/3 cup Cacao Ice Cream, or your favorite chocolate or vanilla ice cream
For the Cacao Ice Cream:
• 1 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk (do not substitute with light)
• 1 frozen banana
• 2 tablespoons agave nectar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup cacao powder
• 1 tablespoon vodka (optional)
To make Cacao Ice Cream:
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. For best results, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. (Alternatively, simply transfer the mixture to a container and freeze, covered, until frozen through, churning the mixture by hand, every 30 minutes or so, for 3 hours to help create a fluffier ice cream.) Store the ice cream in the freezer, and let it soften at room temperature for a couple of minutes before serving.
SUPERFOOD BOOST: Add 2 teaspoons of maca to the blend before freezing for an extra depth of flavor and additional energizing properties.
To make Kombucha Float:
1. In a measuring cup with a spout, stir together the kombucha, vanilla extract, and stevia.
2. In a 16-ounce serving glass or mason jar, place a spoonful of raspberries, followed by a spoonful of cacao ice cream, and layer each of these ingredients about 4 times. Slowly pour in the kombucha—it will foam up immediately but settle quickly. Enjoy this ice cream float right away!
FEEL-GOOD FACT: Most people use kombucha as an excellent elixir for digestive support, but in traditional Japanese culture, Kombucha tea is also used to give the kidneys a healthy boost, as well as the urinary system, the reproductive system, and pancreatic functioning.
Learn more about healthy ways to satisfy your cravings in The Importance of Honoring Food Cravings.
Reprinted with permission from Superfood Snacks © 2015 by Julie Morris, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photography by Oliver Barth