Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food (The Experiment, 2012), by Alicia C. Simpson, offers 150 satisfying and flavorful new recipes to enjoy from breakfast to dinner and anytime in between. However you define “comfort food,” Simpson has you covered with down-home Southern standards, Tex-Mex fiesta favorites, and a few surprises destined to become new standbys. The following excerpt from “The Main Event” is a recipe for gyros with tzatziki sauce.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food.
Tzatziki Sauce has become my new favorite all-purpose topping for just about everything. Even when I’m not making gyros I keep a little around for a dollop on Zucchini Fritters, Fried Green Tomatoes, or even Crispy Risotto Cakes.
Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
• 1/2 small white onion, grated
• 1 cup plain soy yogurt
• 1-1/2 teaspoons flax oil
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1 pound or 4 cutlets Seitan
• 4 whole wheat pita pockets
• 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
To make the Tzatziki Sauce:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use, up to 4 days.
To make the gyros:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
2. Slice the seitan cutlets into thin slices and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until firm, about 10 minutes.
3. To assemble gyros, divide seitan and tomato between pita pockets evenly and top with Tzatziki Sauce.
More from Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food
25 g Protein
3 g Total fat
0 g Saturated fat
0 g Monounsaturated fat
49 g Carbohydrates
6 g Fiber
5 g Sugar
131 mg Calcium
4 mg Iron
967 mg Sodium
Recipes from Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food: 150 Down-Home Recipes Packed with Flavor, Not Calories, copyright © Alicia C. Simpson, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. Buy this book from our store: Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food.