This recipe is a great way to use leftover grilled veggies—feel free to replace the squash and onion with any other cooked vegetables you have on hand—and you can also add sliced turkey or cheese to the mix if you want a heartier sandwich. The Chia Dijon-Balsamic Spread is great to have around for other uses, so double or triple the recipe as needed and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Featured Seeds: chia
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich Recipe with Chia Dijon-Balsamic Spread
• 2 tablespoons black or white chia seeds
• 4 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons purified water
• 1 yellow squash or zucchini, cut lengthwise into 10 slices
• 2 large slices red onion (not separated into rings)
• 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 4 large slices whole-grain bread, toasted
• 1/2 avocado, sliced
• 12 thin diagonal slices English cucumber, or 1 cup baby arugula
1. To make the spread, in a bowl, whisk together chia seeds, vinegar, mustard and water. Let stand for about 20 minutes. (Makes 2 tablespoons.)
2. Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill. Brush squash and onion with oil. Grill over medium-high heat until dark grill marks form and veggies are just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Separate onion into rings.
3. Spread chia mixture onto 4 slices of toast. Arrange avocado on 2 slices of the toast and top with onion, squash, cucumber and remaining slices of toast. Cut in half and serve.
Learn more about nutritious seeds in How to Be a Seed Eater.
Excerpted from The Chia Cookbook by Janie Hoffman.