The simple, lemony dressing shows off both briny shrimp and sweet summer squash. For an easy side dish, brush slices of rustic bread with olive oil and grill them alongside shrimp and squash until golden grill marks form.
Grilled Shrimp and Summer Squash Recipe
• Bamboo skewers
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• Grated zest of 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
• 1 small serrano chili, seeded and minced
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
• Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1-1⁄4 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact
• 8 summer squash, cut lengthwise into 3 pieces each
1. Soak skewers in water to cover for 30 minutes. Prepare a grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat.
2. Mix mustard with lemon zest and juice in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Mix in chili and herbs. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Drain skewers. Thread about 4 shrimp on a skewer. Then thread a second skewer through the shrimp, parallel to the first, to prevent shrimp from spinning around. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Place squash and shrimp on a large baking sheet. Brush both with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange squash on grill, cover and cook until tender and lightly charred, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Grill shrimp, uncovered, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove shrimp from skewers and cut squash crosswise.
5. Transfer shrimp and squash to a medium bowl and toss with sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve right away. Serves 4.
Vary the grilled shrimp recipe by using bell peppers in place of summer squash, or scallops instead of shrimp. Chicken breasts are also tasty with these seasonings. To save time, make dressing a day ahead and refrigerate. Bring it to room temperature before using.
Put healthful, yummy dinners on the table with 4 Fresh and Fast Weeknight Meals.
Recipe adapted from Weeknight Fresh & Fast by Kristine Kidd, published by Williams-Sonoma, 2011.