Glaze some eggplant with olive oil and herbs for a warm, flavor-filled entree or side. Serve this alongside rice, over pasta with marinara sauce, or alone as a side dish or appetizer. It’s also delicious to stack roasted eggplant with fresh mozzarella and pesto or marinara sauce, and warm the stacks in the oven until the cheese melts.
• 2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
2. Cut eggplant into 1⁄4-inch-thick rounds.
3. Lightly coat two baking sheets or shallow pans with cooking oil spray.
4. Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheets, and spray with olive oil spray.
5. Combine wheat germ, oregano and garlic in a bowl or shaker-type jar.
6. Shake or sprinkle about half of the wheat germ mix onto eggplant.
7. Bake eggplant for 10 minutes or until barely browned.
8. Remove pan from oven, flip eggplant slices, and sprinkle with remaining seasoning mix.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Return to oven for about 10 minutes more.