Add a pop of flavor and freshness with this Fusilli recipe with Cherry Tomatoes and Fresh Tuna.
On busy nights, this simple fusilli recipe with fresh vegetables and tuna can be whipped up in no time.
James Peterson, author of Kitchen Simple (Ten Speed Press, 2011), reminds home cooks that good food isn’t necessarily complicated. In his most recent book, Peterson offers a diverse collection of over 200 satisfying, quick and easy recipes. The following excerpt, from "Pasta and Grains," for a fusilli recipe will provide simplicity bursting with flavor.
Purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Kitchen Simple.
The only somewhat laborious part of this dish is cutting the tomatoes in half, but if you don't, the sauce won't cling to them and they'll burst in your mouth in a way that dilutes the vinaigrette. Be sure to buy olives that have been already pitted. The tuna is used raw, but it is partially cooked by the heat of the pasta. When shopping, be sure to tell your fishmonger you'll be serving the tuna a little on the raw side.
• 4 cups baby arugula (optional)
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes
• 1 pound fusilli (spirals)
• 2/3 cup pitted black olives, not out of a can
• 1 pound fresh tuna, cut into 1/2-inch dice
• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
1. Wash the arugula and spin dry. Chop very coarsely. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fusilli and cook according to the package directions, until soft, with the slightest resistance to the tooth. Drain in a colander.
3. Transfer the pasta to a bowl. Add the tomatoes, olives, tuna, olive oil, and vinegar. Toss. Serve hot or cold—let cool at room temperature and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Makes 4 main-courses
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Kitchen Simple: Essential Recipes for Everyday Cooking by James Peterson and published by Ten Speed Press, 2011. Purchase this book from our store: Kitchen Simple.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE