Your vegetarian guests will love this Easy Sweet Potato Pie with Goat Cheese recipe.
You can make this Easy Sweet Potato Pie recipe on weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time.
Made At Home: Vegetables (Mitchell Beazley, 2012) is the go-to guide to planting your own plot for fresh, year-round garden produce. Father and son, Dick and James Strawbridge, provide simple instruction for planning, growing and harvesting your own seasonal produce, as well as recipes to use them up. In this excerpt from part three, “Autumn,” learn how to make a quick and easy sweet potato pie with goat cheese.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Made at Home: Vegetables.
Our favorite sweet potato recipe is this baked pie with fennel seeds and plenty of goats’ cheese. It’s an easy meal to make in a hurry and guaranteed to please vegetarian guests.
• 3 1/2 ounces(100 grams) butter
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 3 to 4 shallots, chopped
• 7 ounces (200 grams) spinach leaves
• A pinch of grated nutmeg
• 14 1/2 ounces (450 grams) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
• 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
• 3 ounces (175 grams) goats’ cheese
• 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) mixed nuts and seeds (try pine nuts, cashews, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180 Celsius), gas mark 4.
2. Heat half the butter in a small pan and add the garlic and shallots. Cook gently until softened, then add the spinach and nutmeg and give it a final stir on the heat. Transfer to a sieve and drain, so that the spinach isn’t too watery when used later.
3. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes, or until mashable. Add the rest of the butter and the fennel seeds, season with salt and mash until smooth.
4. Now layer half the sweet potato mash in the bottom of a pie dish, with the drained spinach on top. Spread over the goats’ cheese, then top with the remaining sweet potato.
5. Sprinkle the nuts and seed evenly over the top of the dish and bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Serves 4.
Reprinted with permission from Made At Home: Vegetables by Dick and James Straw Bridge and published by Mitchell Beazley, 2012. Buy this book from our store: Made at Home: Vegetables.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE