These easy bean burritos will quickly become a family favorite.
These bean burritos with purple basil are an easy addition to your Mexican spread.
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh purple basil leaves
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
• 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 1/2 ounce can light red kidney beans, drained, reserving 1/4 cup liquid
• 10 taco-size flour tortillas
• 1/2 pound sliced cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, combine the basil, oregano, onion, pepper, beans and reserved liquid. On a work surface, lay out a tortilla, place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture on it, and sprinkle on some of the cheese. Fold in the right and left sides, then roll up.
3. Place the tortilla, seam side down, in an ungreased 10-by-13-inch pan. Fill the remaining nine tortillas, dividing the filling and cheese among them but reserving a few tablespoons of the cheese to sprinkle on top.
4. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Serves 5
—Marcia Anderson, Alexandria, Virginia
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE