Holiday drinks like this soothing Digestive Chai Tea recipe will help with digestion after holiday meals.
This Digestive Chai Tea recipe will keep you healthy while celebrating the holiday season.
Try this Digestive Chai Tea recipe as a part of a healthy holiday meal.
This decaffeinated herbal drink is very flavorful and always a favorite with guests as an after-dinner tea. In the summer, try iced chai for a change. And if you are having iced or hot chai during the day, you can always make a mildly caffeinated chai—just omit the peppermint and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of black tea and steep for 3 minutes before straining the mixture. Too much caffeine can lead to insomnia and increase blood pressure in some people, but judicious amounts invigorate the nervous system and help cleanse the body of wastes by increasing water release from the kidneys. The three seeds in the recipe are effective for preventing gas and gastric distress, the licorice has a soothing and immune-boosting effect, and the orange peel and peppermint promote optimum digestion and provide healthy antioxidants.
• 8 cups water
• 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds (Trigonella foenum-graecum)
• 2 tablespoons fennel seeds (Foeniculum vulgare)
• 2 tablespoons caraway seeds (Carum carvi)
• 1 tablespoon orange peel
• 3/4 teaspoon chopped licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint leaves (Mentha piperita)
1. Pour the water into a large pot. Place the seeds, orange peel, and licorice root into the water, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat, add the peppermint, and allow to steep, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain and drink. Serves 6.
Christopher Hobbs, L.Ac., A.H.G. is an herbalist and botanist with more than thirty years of experience with medicinal herbs. Beth Baugh has been integrating medicinal herbs into natural foods cuisine for more than twenty years.
Read the article Healthy Holiday Feast Recipes for more healthy holiday dishes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE