Holiday food like this nutritious Creamy Spinach Soup recipe will make eating healthy during the holiday season a pleasure.
Try this Creamy Spinach Soup recipe as a part of a healthy holiday meal.
Perfect for winter evenings, this rich and creamy soup is a good source of calcium and iron (from the spinach). The soup also contains vitamin A and lutein (from the zucchini, carrots, and spinach). And don’t forget that onions are one of nature’s best sources of quercetin, another cancer-fighter.
1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 russet potato, cut into chunks
• 1 carrot, sliced
• 1 cup chopped zucchini
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
• 2 cups milk or soymilk
• 1 bunch spinach, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• Diced red peppers, optional
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil briefly, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the potato and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. Cover the vegetables with water (just enough so the vegetables are submerged) and simmer until they are almost tender (about 10 minutes), then add the zucchini and simmer for 5 more minutes. Puree the mixture in a blender.
2. In a small frying pan over low heat, melt the butter. Make a roux by stirring the flour into the melted butter, then add the milk or soymilk and stir until the mixture is thickened.
3. Combine the pureed vegetables and the roux in a soup pot and add the spinach, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasonings to taste and serve. For a festive flair, sprinkle each bowl of soup with diced red peppers. Serves 6.
Read the article Healthy Holiday Feast Recipes for more healthy holiday dishes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE