Crave-worthy treats can be abundantly healthy! Satisfy your cravings with nutrient-dense, delicious treats from Superfood Snacks (Sterling, 2015) by, natural food chef and bestselling author, Julie Morris. The following recipe for Cookie Dough Protein Bites offers an excellent low-calorie treat.
The fact that almost half of the ingredients in these bites are considered the best-of-the-best superfoods should be the first clue that this snack is not messing around, despite its disguise as a craveable cookie-dough-flavored treat.
Cookie Dough Protein Bites Recipe
• 1 cup dried white mulberries
• 1/3 cup Medjool dates (about 5–6), pitted
• 1/3 cup almond butter
• 1/3 cup vanilla protein powder
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 cup dried goji berries
• 1/4 cup hemp seeds
• 1/4 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1. In a food processor, grind the mulberries into a coarse mixture. Add the dates, almond butter, protein powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt, and process until well combined. Stop the machine, then add the goji berries, hemp seeds, and chocolate chips. Briefly process once more to break down the ingredients, while allowing some large pieces to remain for texture. Stop the machine and check the consistency: Depending on the natural moisture of the dates, you may need to add a touch of water—1 teaspoon at a time—to get the crumbs to stick together when pinched together. If the dough is too wet, mix in a little extra protein powder.
2. For a cookie-dough-like effect, take a small melon ball scoop and fill it to the top with dough, packing it in tightly with your fingers, then release the circular scoop of dough. Repeat with remaining dough.
3. Alternatively, place the dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Press the dough into a compact square, then tightly wrap it in the plastic to further compress the dough into a 1-inch-thick slab. Cut the dough into 24 small squares.
4. Cookie Dough Protein Bites may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for several weeks, or in the freezer for several months.
SUPERFOOD BOOST: Add 2 tablespoons cacao nibs in addition to, or instead of, the chocolate chips.
Learn more about healthy ways to satisfy your cravings in The Importance of Honoring Food Cravings.
Reprinted with permission from Superfood Snacks © 2015 by Julie Morris, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photography by Oliver Barth.