Get the health benefits of coconut in this Homemade Coconut Oil Mayonnaise recipe.
Because coconut oil solidifies at room temperature, you’ll need to warm the mayo slightly to reconstitute it after refrigeration. To learn about the health benefits of coconut oil, read The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil.
Try making all of your condiments at home. Read Homemade Condiments: Recipes for Ketchup, Mustard and More.
• Pinch kosher salt
• 1 cup coconut oil, melted (not hot), or mild-flavored olive oil
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Fresh herbs, chopped garlic, hot sauce and/or white pepper, to taste (optional)
1. To begin making the emulsion, whisk or process (in a blender or food processor) the salt and about a tablespoon of the oil into the egg yolk.
2. When the mixture begins to thicken, add lemon juice and mustard.
3. Then begin adding oil, at first a drop at a time, then a teaspoon at a time, whisking or processing constantly, in order to achieve a creamy consistency. Stir in optional flavorings. Makes about 1 cup.
Note: Homemade mayonnaise is more luscious than store-bought versions that contain stabilizers, but it will also tend to separate, or “break,” in the refrigerator. If necessary, re-emulsify the mayo by stirring in a few droplets of water until it’s creamy again.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE